The idea that could somewhat support the faction in control and make it flow more like normal combat and less like a bar brawl would be to create an entity called "town militia".
The idea is as follows:
- you can buy cheap (33% - 50% of the normal price or even less, would require balancing) mercenaries (10 to 20, depending on the type - for example, Den would have 20 metal armor dudes with assault rifles, BH 10 mutants with rocket launchers and miniguns) belonging to the militia at the Town Control dude if you control the city for an hour; if the militia prove to die too often (ie. there's none of them present most of the time), make them spawn with no cost after an hour and have 1 or 2 casualties (depending on the town - 2 for Den AR dudes, 1 for BH mutants) respawn every 15, 10 or 5 minutes (that'd would also require balancing);
- you don't need any charisma to recruit militia, they don't follow anyones orders and spawn on specific town map points;
- ALL the town guards are removed - militia is to replace them;
- militia does not respawn when killed (if we go with the "buy" option - it'd require timeouts on buying balanced like the aforementioned militia respawn of the "auto" option);
- militia members have infinite ammo and don't spawn any items when killed;
- all the militias are equally competent; 2 Den dudes should be more or less equally capable in combat (in terms of HP and skills) as BH mutants;
- militia will attack any member of a faction from a list introduced by the town's captor - I'm thinking of a friend/enemy list just like at the faction base, which gets saved after you lose the town to prevent needless micromanagement (of course all the in-game factions would be listed); the list should include "non-alligned" as well; initially after the capture everyone aside from NPC factions and "non-alligned" would be listed as an enemy to further reduce micromanagement;
- militia members don't attack "friendly" players who cause collateral damage to non-key (untalkable) NPCs - if you burst a civvie while targeting another player, you don't get shot, if you burst a civvie while targetting a civvie, you get shot, if you burst Metzger or a trader while targetting anything, you get shot; still "enemy" players are the top priority;
- to control the town you need to kill all the militia, talk with the TC dude and then wait the usual 20 minutes;
- capturing the town makes everyone's listed on the "don't shoot" list (aside from NPC factions and non-alligned) karma at that town go back to 0.
The reward for controlling the town would be in caps paid per hour and perhaps some resources based on what the town has in the Fallout lore. Given the more stress this system would place on the team trying to control the town for prolonged periods of time I think the ammount should be a bit boosted - like 3000 caps per hour or so to make people really care for the potential profits without giving the faction too much of an advantage. It'd require balancing for sure, but I'd up it a bit.
This sort of a deal would still give a bonus to the faction that manages to capture the town somewhat permamently while allowing for some really dynamic combat, especially at peak hours. It'd prevent defence by camping on the worldmap and encourage actually being present in the town to fully utilise and coordinate with the militia. It'd also give you an ability to attack the town 24/7, giving the PvP players way more fun. Even more, it'd prevent 4 bluesuits from troll-taking the town which is and always was one of the most ridiculous aspects of TC. So, in theory, all the pathologies plaguing PvP nowadays would be removed.